- Plan Ahead - Get organised with uniform, don't leave it till the last week in August, sizes will be getting short and the shops will be crowded with other parents doing the same thing.
- Find out the school terms for the year ahead, you don't want to find out that you have booked a holiday when your child should be starting school.
- Talk to your child about starting school. Tell them what they will be doing, making new friends, playing with exciting new toys and learning lots of new things.
- Most schools offer a transition day, make the most of this. Show your child where to hang their coat, which will be their classroom and where the toilets and playground are.
- Encourage your child to get into a good routine by setting a bedtime. The first few weeks they may be very tired.
- Get organised with everything they will need the night before they start. Lay out their clothes, encourage them to help with this.
These are only a few things you can do to help your child in the first few days of their school life. There is lots more information on the internet. We have listed a few sites for you.
- Parentscentre - helping you to help your child
- Raisingkids - if it's about raising kids it here
- Directgov - public service all in one place
Enjoy your childs first years at school, it goes by so quickly.